Godovova Elena Viktorovna, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of humanities and socioeconomic subjects, Orenburg branch of Russian Academy of National Economy and State Service under the President of the Russian Federation (26 Kuracha street, Orenburg, Russia), email@example.com
Kabytov Petr Serafimovich, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, head of sub-department of Russian history, Samara University (1 Pavlova street, Samara, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. In the second half of the XIX – early XX centuries there is a process of active integration of the Cossacks into the socio-economic and legal territory of Russia. In military terms, this period was relatively calm for the Cossacks.
Therefore, the Cossacks began to pay more attention to the development of the economic branches that were accessible to them according to the natural-historical conditions of the surrounding area. In most of the Cossack villages, agriculture was the
basis of the economy. The aim of the work is to analyze the influence of the modernization processes occurring in post-reform Russia on the economic daily life of the Cossacks.
Materials and methods. The source of work includes archival documents extracted from the collections of the Russian State Historical Archive, ethnographic reports, memoirs, and materials from the periodical press. historical comparative analysis, which makes it possible to compare the everyday practices of the Cossacks related to different Cossack armies, the comparison of Cossacks and the nonmilitary population of stanitsas is used in the article. To determine the degree of reliability of the documentary material, such as ethnographic reports, sources of personal origin, a method of critical analysis of historical sources was used.
Results. The influence of modernization processes taken place in post-reform Russia on the economic dailyity of the Cossacks is studied. A comparison is made of the economic daily life of different Cossack troops and different groups of people in the villages.
Conclusions. Transformations of the second half of the nineteenth century were aimed at the economic recovery of the Cossack class, that experiences a situation of obvious crisis at this time. The very principle of the organization of the Cossack
troops came to a clear discrepancy with the ongoing modernization processes in the country. The severity of military service and the low level of agronomic culture of the Cossacks led to economic decline and social stratification of the Cossack communities.
Innovations were introduced with great difficulty, to a greater extent, the efforts of the military government. The influx of alien landless people into the Cossack lands gives a strong impetus to the development of the economic life of the Cossacks.
1. Volvenko A. A. Ocherki istorii i kul'tury kazachestva Yuga Rossii: monografiya [Esas on the history and culture of the Cossacks in the South of Russia: monograph]. Volgograd: Izd-vo Volgogradskogo filiala FGBOU VPO RANKhiGS, 2014, pp. 190–215.
2. Krasnov P. N. Voennyy sbornik [Military collection]. 1899, no. 8, pp. 420–423.
3. Istoriya Khoperskogo polka Kubanskogo kazach'ego voyska. 1696–1896: v 2 ch. [The history of the Khopyor regiment of the Kuban Cossack Army. 1696–1896: in 2 parts]. Comp. by esaul I Kubanskogo polka V. Tolstov; ed. V. A. Potto. Tiflis, 1901.
4. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv (dalee – RGIA) [The Russian State Historical Archive (hereinafter – RGIA)]. F. 1276. Op. 17. D. 44.
5. RGIA. F. 1276. Op. 17. D. 153.
6. Vasil'ev I. Yu. Gosudarstvo i obshchestvo v sisteme tsennostey kubanskogo kazachestva (konets XVIII – nachalo XX v.): dis. kand. ist. nauk [The stae and society in the systm of values of the Kuban Cossacks (late XVIII – early XX centuries): dissertation to apply
for the degree of the candidate of historical sciences]. Krasnodar, 2008, 213 p.
7. Arkannikov F. F. Kubanskiy sbornik: v 21 t. [Kuban collection: in 21 volumes]. Ekaterinodar, 1888, vol. 1, pp. 548–617.
8. Shakhov D. Kubanskiy sbornik: v 21 t. [Kuban collection: in 21 volumes]. Ekaterinodar, 1888, vol. 1, pp. 643–689.
9. Futoryanskiy L. I. Kazachestvo Rossii na rubezhe vekov [The Cossacks of Russia at the turn of centuries]. Orenburg: Dimur, 1999, 200 p.
10. Matveev O. V. Slovo o kubanskom kazachestve [The word on the Kuban Cossacks]. Krasnodar: Sovetskaya Kuban', 1995, 342 p.
11. Lipinskiy A. V. Kubanskiy sbornik: v 21 t. [Kuban collection: in 21 volumes]. Ekaterinodar, 1888, vol. 1, pp. 690–732.
12. Rokhmistrov E. P. Kazaki – voiny, pakhari: dokumental'naya povest' [The Cossacks – warriors, ploughers: a documentary novel]. Chelyabinsk: Izd-vo Tat'yany Lur'e, 2008, 376 p.
13. Ivanis V. Rodnaya Kuban' [Beloved Kuban]. 2002, no. 2, pp. 91–107.
14. Sagnaeva S. K. Material'naya kul'tura ural'skogo kazachestva (traditsionnaya odezhda i pishcha) na rubezhe 19–20 vekov [The material culture of the Ural Cossacks (traditional clothes and food) at the turn of 19th–20th centuries]. Ural'sk, 2015, 304 p.
15. Starikov F. M. Istoriko-statisticheskiy ocherk Orenburgskogo kazach'ego voyska s prilozheniem stat'i o domashnem byte orenburgskikh kazakov, risunkov so znamen i karty [A historical and statistical description of the Orenburg Cossack Army enclosing articles on the domestic life of Orenburg Cossacks, illustrations of banners and maps]. Orenburg: Tipografiya B. Breslina, 1891, 249 p.
16. Serov A. G. Vospominaniya starozhilov stanitsy Magnitnoy: starye i novye zapisi [Memories of old-timers from Magnitnaya village: old and new records]. Magnitogorsk: PR-Kapital, 2013, 273 p.
17. Kirillov P. Kubanskiy sbornik: v 21 t. [Kuban collection: in 21 volumes]. Ekaterinodar, 1888, vol. 1, pp. 618–642.
18. RGIA. F. 1276. Op. 17. D. 185.
19. Pis-nov M. N. Orenburgskaya gazeta [Orenburg newspaper]. 1899, 4 Apr.
20. Kurakeeva M. F. Verkhnekubanskie kazaki: byt, kul'tura, traditsii [The Upper Kuban Cossacks: daily life, culture, traditions]. Cherkessk, 1999, 278 p.
21. Mel'nikov L. M. Kubanskiy sbornik: v 21 t. [Kuban collection: in 21 volumes]. Ekaterinodar, 1900, vol. 6, pp. 73–140.
22. Ural'skie voyskovye vedomosti [Ural army bulletin]. 1874, 28 Jul., no. 29.
23. Ural'skie voyskovye vedomosti [Ural army bulletin]. 1877, 31 Jun., no. 30.
24. Kolupaev D. V. Sibirskoe kazachestvo vo vtoroy polovine XIX veka – 1850–1900 gg.: sotsial'no-ekonomicheskoe razvitie: avtoref. dis. d-ra ist. nauk [The Siberian Cossacks in the second part of XIX century – 1850–1900: socioeconomic development: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of historical sciences]. Irkutsk, 2011, 33 p.
25. Beshentsev V. G. Moya stanitsa [My village]. Orenburg: Dimur, 2010, 308 p.
26. Amurskie kazaki. Priamur'e. Iz veka v vek. Materialy, dokumenty, svidetel'stva, vospominaniya: v 2 t. [The Amur Cossacks. Amur region. From century to century. Materials, documents, testimonies, memories: in 2 volumes]. Comp. by V. N. Abelentsev. Blagoveshchensk-na-Amure: Amurskaya yarmarka, 2008, vol. 1, 288 p.
27. Velikaya N. N. Ocherki istorii i kul'tury kazachestva Yuga Rossii: monografiya [Essays on the history and culture of the Cossacks of the South of Russia: monograph]. Volgograd: Izd-vo Volgogradskogo filiala FGBOU VPO RANKhiGS, 2014, pp. 231–242.
28. Bazhenov A. D. Sibirskiy kazak. Vypusk pervyy. Pereizdanie voyskovogo yubileynogo sbornika Sibirskogo kazach'ego voyska, izdannogo v Kharbine v 1934 g. [The Sibirian Cossacks. Issue one. A reprint of the Army anniversary collection of the Siberin Cossacks, published in Harbin in 1934]. Biysk: Biya: Izd-vo Altayskogo gos. tekh. un-ta, 2009, pp. 157–164.
29. RGIA. F. 560. Op. 27. D. 36.
30. Golik A. A. Voyna i povsednevnaya zhizn' naseleniya Rossii XVII–XXI vv. (k stoletiyu nachala Pervoy mirovoy voyny): materialy Mezhdunar. nauch. konf. (14–16 marta 2014 g.) [War and everyday life of the Russian society in XVII–XXI centuries (devoted
to the 100th anniversary of the beginning of WWI): proceedings of an International scientific conference (14th–16th of May 2014)]. Saint-Petersburg: LGU im. A. S. Pushkina, 2014, pp. 420–426.
31. Ryblova M. A. Trudy Yuzhnogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN: v 6 t. T. 5. Sotsial'nye i gumanitarnye nauki [Proceedings of the Southern Research Center of RAS: in 6 volumes. Vol. 5. Social sciences and humanities]. Rostov-on-Don: Izd-vo YuNTs RAN, 2009,